As the 2009 approaches to an end, I've decided to look back at everything that's happened this year and summarize them into an Ins/Outs list, LOL.
1. Got into Grad School. While I always complain about the workload, I'm grateful to have the chance to further my education. Also, I've made some great friends along the way.
2. Living by myself. I've ALWAYS lived with someone my entire life, be it my mom, my BF, etc etc. While it's comforting to know that someone will be there to protect you, the sense of independence was lost. I love living alone because I get to do exactly what I want when I want. It's very liberating.
3. Went to Hungary and Austria. Although the time spent there could be longer, I saw most of what I wanted in Hungary/Austria. The most important aspect was the people I was with. My MAIB program-mates were such a joy to have around, and the trip really reinforced the friendships.
4. Finish a 60-pg research report on Carnival Corporation as my thesis. It's very rewarding to read over the thesis and find yourself sounding semi-intelligent. Despite the late nights and extremely large amount of coffee I consumed, I would not change one bit.
5. Incredible beauty-related deals such as the ones I mentioned in my last post. Who doesn't love quality products at great prices?
1. My skin being ruined by my schedule. I assure you that late nights, caffeine, and crappy diet don't guarantee you perfect skin. Also, while other people swear by BCP of clearing their skin, it does NOTHING for me, maybe even worsens it. :(
2. Being taken advantage by people. A lot of Chinese international students (note: I did NOT say all of them) tried to stay at my house during their stay in Miami. To be more specific, they wanted to come to Miami BECAUSE I live here, so they think they can mooch off of me. I guess it's a cultural difference. They are a lot more pushy and "in-your-face" than most American people. I guess after living in the US for so long, I'm no longer used to it. Just because I live here does NOT give them the right to assume they can just use my house as a free hotel. The worst part is that after I said no, some of them stopped being friends with me. Being used? Totally. Do I feel bad and wish I did otherwise? HELL no.
3. Spending an arm and a leg on makeup. While they are mostly inexpensive items, when you look at the big picture, I've spent thousands, if not tens of thousands on makeup. That's just inexcusable.
4. Gaining the weight I tried so hard to lose back in 2.5 weeks. I worked out really hard and ate healthily for 2 months and lost about 15 lbs. Fast forward til today, 12/31/09, almost 3 weeks into my Xmas break, I've gained all of the 15 lbs back and then some. All the great food and no exercise will give you extra love handles for sure.
5. Having oral health issues. I had to get 3 crowns put on for (are you ready?) $5000!!!!! And that my friends, is WITH insurance. Fuck that shit. Hard.
Now after taking a look at the goods and bads of 2009, let's see what I hope to accomplish in 2010.
1. Work hard in all my classes and get through my grad school.
2. Either rent out or sell my townhouse in Gainesville. (HA! Fat chance!)
3. Move to Boulder, Colorado to be with my BF.
4. Get a decent job that can cover bills and have some left over for emergency funds.
5. Improve my diet and workout regime. My goal is to lose 2 pants sizes and 15lbs <--that I lost during 2009 and regained.
6. Be more patient and less moody.
7. DO NOT PROCRASTINATE. I need to start my work earlier instead of cramming the last night.
8. Project 10 pan. I need to show at least an attempt at retraining myself when it comes to makeup. I have way too much. Since I will be moving into a smaller apartment w/ my BF in May, I can't possibly bring everything with me. So expect a lot of blog sales and giveaways. No more makeup purchase til I finish 10 products.
9. Try to spend less money in general. I'm only one person, I do NOT need 174038470 boxes of cereals, even if they are BOGOF. Waste not, want not.
10. Appreciate the people around me more.
Now after setting goals for 2010, I'm determined to make it work. 2010 will be challenging, but if I work on it a little everyday, hopefully it'll be doable.
Lastly, I want to leave you all with a famous quote:
Dance as if no one's watching,
Love as if you've never been hurt;
Sing as if no one's listening,
and Live as if it's heaven on earth.
Happy New Year people. Thanks for all the support. :D